maandag 16 april 2012

Switzerland, Viamala Gorge to Thusis




Its a cold sundaymorning in April and when I have a glimp out of the window, I see the small Swiss village 'Versam'  getting covered in snow. My mobile phone rings: three Belgian paddlers wants to go paddling. And for unknown  reasons they try to convince me to leave my warm house and come along. Which river...where water... I think about a short and scenic paddle and the Viamala pops up in my mind. Four years ago I paddled down this gorge and realy enjoyed this so I called Toro Rogenmoser to double check waterlevels. He gets enhousiastic and explains that 'now' is the time to paddle the Viamala schlucht all the way to Thusis. This stretch of great whitewater normally lays dry for most of the year.

The idea of paddling Viamala schlucht also motivated him to come along with us and 2 hours later we are finding ourselfs following Toro down a steep gully to get down to the river. Toro It's a great experiece to be down in this gorge, looking up, surrounded by 50 meters steep walls. This run has a nice warm up section with small rapids and little boofs. After a 4 meter wier the more steep and technical part of the section starts. The gorge is getting more narrow and a five meter slide appairs. Toro explains all the lines and moves, therefore we kept on moving without getting to cold. It was a one of the best rivers I have done in this area so far. What a great day.